Thursday, July 23, 2009

Birds of Prey - Not Half Bad...

I know that the Birds of Prey comic has been canceled, which is an exceptionally sad thing, though some of the later issues were a bit lackluster. It didn't go out with the bang you expected from Huntress, Black Canary, or Oracle. Actually, it kind of went out with a whimper.

So, lo and behold, I found two collections of BOP comics that are nice to have. I'd actually only read one of them before I got these.

Birds of Prey: Perfect Pitch was right on tune. I loved how The Calculator was obsessed with finding out who Oracle was. It was really funny. His letter to her sounded perfect for the OCD Calculator.

Dear Oracle,
Allow me to introduce myself...
I'm the man who's going to bury you, your friends, and your family.


Meaning no disrespect or malice, of course.

You're simply in the way, my dear.

I'm sorry for all the machination. But I knew you would eventually HAVE to check these blueprints, and I really DID need to contact you.

I want Luthor's satellites back, Oracle.
And if I don't get them...
Well, then I'm going to have all of your operatives assassinated in one brief thun
derstorm of blood.

C'mon, admit that was kinda funny XD

I'm also a big fan of Babs telling her dad, the former Commissioner Jim Gordon, that she was the information broker to the world's greatest heroes. She goes on to explain about Batgirl, but apparently...duh duh duhhhhh...he already knew.

Maybe he should have said something to Batman, because ole' Batsy seemed pretty upset that she had let her father know. But then again, he was already pissed about Huntress still working in Gotham, so maybe it just spilled over a bit.


So, to wrap the rest up, it's Black Canary vs. Deathstroke, which can only end badly, of course. The mercenary fell over the side of a building after being blinded by Canary and annoyed by Lady Blackhawk.

My personal favorite part is Huntress, who had been operating in Gotham, forcing an Italian mob to make her their capo and pissing off Batman in the process, giving the information on all mobs to Batman, who grudgingly says that it's excellent work.
Then Canary makes out with him ("No, honest, it was...kinda hot, really. Like kissing your principal while on detention.") and we all go home.

Until Shiva shows up, that is. Naming herself The Jade Canary, she trades life experiences with Canary, who is in a living hell in another country. After being beaten up by Prometheus, she leaves and Canary, who didn't want to be Shiva's apprentice in the end, comes back with a small girl named Sin.

And that, people, is a story for the next post.

P.s. I want this next!

No comments: