Thursday, August 6, 2009

Review: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

I'm going to start this one out with stating that I don't like Superman, but I did enjoy Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Alan Moore was right on target with that one. It was a good tribute to the Man of Steel.

But, as much as I love Neil Gaiman (and I'm sure this was his intent), I didn't really understand Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

It started out in Gotham, as usual, and people are talking, but we don't see who. I mean, you assume that one of them is Batman, but whatever. Anyway, we follow Selina Kyle at first. She goes to a bar, talks with a dead man, and gets a bunch of cats to watch her car for her.

Then we see Alfred. Then we see Batman's dead body in a casket.

Depressing much?

So, the theory that it is Batman's disembodied voice we have been reading is confirmed when he is surprised to see himself in a coffin.

Two-Face, The Joker, Dick...all are at this "funeral".

People begin to speak. We start with Selina Kyle, who mentions her rooftop romance with the Caped Crusader.

Then we head on over to Alfred, who decides to explain that he was the Joker in the beginning, to keep "Master Bruce" alive.

a) when did it become alright for him to mention Bruce's name in front of his most hated enemies?

b) what the hell? Alfred is not the effing Joker!

That's when we stopped reading.Bold

I'm sorry to everyone who wanted a full review, but I was utterly perplexed. I read a bit more, honestly, about the Penguin and the Joker, but I was just far too confused. So, instead, I watches eight seasons of Smallville and the pilot of Aquaman (with Justin Hartley aka Green Arrow as Arthur "A.C." Curry, also known as Orin. Whewww) that wasn't picked up by the CW. Good times.

I give it a 3/5.

I was confused as all get out, but the artwork was amazing.

No comments: